The Travel Diaries - The Lake District

7.4.17

So William and I have just returned from a short relaxing week in the Lake District.

I have wanted to visit for so long and really happy that I finally got to see a small part of it! We stayed in the most amazing lodges at Keswick Reach. I can't recommend them enough, the lodge was self catering, with everything you could possible need, a bathroom bigger that the upstairs of our house and a private Jacuzzi. (Which we took complete advantage of at every opportunity!)

Monday

So Monday we left late morning at about 11am and made our way up the country. We stopped to grab some food and eventually reached the lodges at about 5pm.

The first thing we did was unpack our bags, eat some dinner and head straight into the Jacuzzi!

Tuesday

Tuesday was the day we would climb Skiddaw and the weather was good to us today. The views from the top were so lovely, but it was so, so windy!





I also realised that I had completely forgotten to pack myself a coat, hat or gloves! You might wonder why I would need them in Spring, but its very cold at the top of the mountains!





We managed to climb and return from Skiddaw in 3.5 hours, which I am really happy with, however, I ended up with blisters on my heels so had to make a trip to the local supermarket in Cockermouth to get some plasters.





On the way back home we headed to a nearby pub and both had some baked camembert for lunch. (Note, there is a cheese theme on this trip)

After we got home, we baked up some jacket potatoes (beans and cheese of course) and played Cluedo. Well, attempted to teach ourselves to play!



Wednesday

Today we decided to take it a little bit more easy, as my feet were still in a bit of pain and I was wearing my sandals to help. My feet were so cold!

We drove into Keswick and parked up by lake Derwent water to go and have a walk around, see the ducks and then walked into the town centre. The shops were cute and they were also filming the new Peter Rabbit film just before we arrived. I managed to pick myself up a new hat and gloves from the bargain bin!



We then found a cute little place to eat called Cafe Bar 26 and I had a mozzarella and cheddar toastie. Will went for the full English!





We wanted to do a bit more walking so headed back to the lodge so that I could put on some base layers and my walking boots then we went back out and headed to Lake Windermere.




After a short climb we were at the top of Orrest head which gave just beautiful views. We stayed a short while and then headed to a nice local supermarket to get some Fillet Steaks and chocolate puddings for dinner!





A short walk along the bridal path to watch the sunset and then another go in the Jacuzzi, hot chocolate and Trivial Pursuit and we were ready for some zzz's.



Thursday

Today is the day we went for the climb up Scaffel Pike! The tallest mountain in England, which was up in the clouds on this day!



The climb up went really well, my feet did not hurt to much and William lent me his walking poles, which were amazing. We managed to Summit in about 2.5 hours and decided to go a different way down, which ended up taking us the entire afternoon, but the views we just stunning. Mother nature makes you feel so insignificant sometimes. I feel super chuffed that I have now climbed the highest peak in Wales and England and so proud that William has done all 3, which includes the highest peak in Scotland.





After we made it back to the car, we drove back to the apartment and booked ourselves a table at the on site restaurant. We were both tired and I was so completely out of energy from the walk! We both went for the burger and chips and it was so yummy, but there was defiantly no room for dessert afterwards.

Straight into the hot tub and we then decided to light up the log burner. The smell is so comforting and it so cozy! But off to bed as Friday we are returning home.



Friday

Up early and all packed up, we left the lodge at about 10am. I'm sad to leave but I do miss my cat and bed a lot! We got home in the evening and even though I'm still a little achey from the walking I had such a great time away with William. X


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment