A week of Pescetarianism!

21.1.17

I am in no means a dietitian or nutritionist. 
I took this on because I wanted to see the affects of cutting meat out of my diet for a month..

What is Pescetarianism?

According to Wikipedia It is the practice of following a diet that includes fish or other seafood, but not the flesh of other animals. Most pescatarians maintain a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet with the addition of fish and shellfish.

Day 1

I'm feeling really positive about the next 30 days. The only thing I think I will miss is fillet steak. 

I love fillet steak. 
But, I feel like I'm good and I can live without it. I just don't like the way that we slaughter our livestock and this is one of the main reasons I'm trying this.

I want to see if embarking on this challenge will make any noticeable difference to my weight and or size.

Day 2

Fish all the way.



Day 4

6pm - I'm looking forward to my 'fake' kiev.



7pm - I did not like my 'fake' kiev one bit.

Day 5

6pm - I really want a Chilli. William is making one and it smells so good. BUT, I remember back to a really nice bean chilli I cooked once, from a recipe I had with Hello Fresh, which contained no meat and I'm going to dig out the recipe today and batch cook some up for next week, so I have some easy meals to microwave for dinner.


7.30pm - I still dont know what to have for dinner. I just dont fancy any of the 'fake' chicken in the freezer. I've realised that the problem is I've bought to many things I wouldn't havent even eaten if they were chicken. I dont eat Kievs anyway as I dont like eating over processed chicken if I can help it.  

I've decided that soup is the way forward.

8.30pm - SHIT. I've been boiling my soup for an hour and completely forgotten about it. Burnt broccoli for me.

8.45pm - I added WAY too much stilton. So I have the smallest portion  of soup ever. I decide that if not eating meat doesn't help me loose weight, then I will loose weight by just not eating anything. This sucks.

Day 6

Back to feeling super positive. I can do this. I feel a little bit lethargic, but I dont know if thats just me, due to a lack of excersise, lack of sunshine and over studying. We shall see.

I also don't really miss chicken at all, which is weird.

I've also come across a really interesting documentary today on BBC 3, called 'Clean eatings dirty secrets' I't presented by Gracie Francesca (The ugly face of beauty) and it's really opened my eyes to people who believe that clean eating is the way forward.




Very clean eating is essentially quite serious when taken to extremes. 

We need all types of food groups in our diet; dairy, carbohydrates, fats, and protein. 

Becoming obsessive with this now has a term - 'Orthorexia, meaning Ortho = Correct and Orexin = eating. 

I never knew that this word and issue even existed and there are people on Youtube, and the big wide world of the internet claiming to know the best way to eat, when really these people are not trained and can be doing themselves more harm than good by not giving their body everything that it needs. 

I am all for a varied diet. 

I believe that you can still treat yourself, just do it in moderation and not every day. If anything watching this programme has made me realise meat is really quite an essential part of our diets.

I feel like this challenge is really making me review my eating before. I occasionally prepared meals in advance and froze them, when we had leftovers. But today I have cooked meals which are just for the freezer and not for eating now. So I've written out a menu for the upcoming week. And I'm realising how bloody hard this really is!

If you are interested in reading about other peoples accounts of 30 days being a Pescatarian, you can visit these links;

Give Me Back My Five Bucks

Chronicled Blog


What I'm eating;

Soups
Bean chilli
Cheese
Bean Chilli
Tuna
Oh and more bean chilli.

How I'm feeling;

Fed up
Happy
Lighter
Depressed
Positive 
Like this is taking over my life. 

Food is no longer a small part of my evening when I get in from work each night. It is so much more than that now. Every meal I have to really think about. All I want is a sweet and sour chineese chicken! Boo.

What i miss;

Fillet steak
Chilli's - With real meat!
Sweet and sour chicken - hong kong style.

Day 7

I give up!

I feel like a failure, but this is too much for me.

I take my hats off to those of you who live a fully pescatarian and vegetarian life - your amazing. XX


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment